Turkey is a great lean source of protein if you stick to white meat and remove the skin.
Try one of these instead:
- Scalloped NotPotatoes! - a big hit on our Not Potato! Night
- Celery Root Mash - celeriac is a delicious alternative
Turnip and Rutabaga
These are actually good options, white turnip better than rutabaga, just avoid adding butter or sugar. If you need some extra zip, use olive oil and/or one of our sugar-free maple syrups (Ideal Protein or Walden Farms).
Choose low Glycemic Index vegetables for your sides like:
- cabbage - try cabbage steaks
- leafy greens
- green beans or brussel spouts in moderation
- avoid peas, carrots, potatoes, and corn
You can season your vegetables with:
- olive oil
- onion powder
- other herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, cumin, paprika, etc)
- mustards (no sugar added)
- apple cider vinegar
- hot sauce
- other sugar and fat free condiments
Sorry - these are out if you want to keep your carbs down. Definitely a no go if you are on Phase 1. If you absolutely need bread, try this Fluffy Roll recipe.
Unfortunately, gravy is often thickened with flour which adds carbs. To avoid this, make your gravy using no thickener, adding only broth or water and then reducing, or use a no carb thickener like Xanthan gum (but only a tiny bit towards the end). If you want your gravy thicker or creamier, try blending in some silken tofu.
So much tasty sugar is served up over the holidays. Don't deny yourself a treat, just choose a healthy one.
- Raspberry Meringue Cookies
- Ideal Protein products:
- Pudding - milk or dark chocolate, vanilla, banana, butterscotch
- Wafers - triple chocolate, orange, lemon, strawberry
- Bars - milk chocolate, cookie n cream, caramel nut, cookie dough swirl, lemon poppyseed, chocolate mint, and more...
- Soy Puffs - chocolate, peanut butter, sour cream
- Jelly - raspberry or cherry
- Raspberry Chocolaty Bar
- Double Chocolate Brownie
- Crisps - fine herb, salt & vinegar and BBQ if sweet isn't your preference
Alcohol is a big NO if you are on Phase 1. Try one of the options below for sipping:
- water - sparkling or still
- club soda
- one of the above with lemon, lime or a little sugar free sweetener
- TRUE Citrus
- Ideal Protein Mangosteen Enhancer, Mio, Crystal light, etc with no sugar, calories or fat
- avoid milk or cream - if you need something like this, try using a little of the Ideal Protein Vanilla Drink.
- Ideal Protein products like:
- Blueberry Cran-Granata
- Peach and Mango
- Pina Colada
- Pineapple and Banana
- you can mix any of the above with sparkling or still water
Our 2013 Ideal Protein Thanksgiving post has our ideas from last year too.