This coleslaw isn't your usual cabbage and mayo affair. This Latin inspired low-carb slaw will make a new and delightful addition to BBQs and picnics.
- 1/2 cup small-dice red onion
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more as needed
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, more as needed
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium head of red cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Whisk together the onion, 3 tablespoons of the lime juice, the oil, measured salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and garlic in a large bowl until combined; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Slice the cabbage in half through the core. Cut a V-shaped notch around the white core on each half; discard the core. Slice each half lengthwise into quarters and thinly slice each quarter crosswise into 1/8-inch-wide strips.
- Add the cabbage and cilantro to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Refrigerate, tossing once or twice, until the flavours have mellowed and melded, about 1 1/2 hours. Add the remaining tablespoon of lime juice, toss again, taste, and season with more salt and pepper as needed before serving.